Travels of Code Monkey photo album

edited March 2008 in JoCo Projects
I thought it might be helpful to have a link to the Travels of Code Monkey photo album posted conspicuously so that folks can easily check in periodically. This thread is just for the album. Any discussion of the project itself should be done here.

@Bry: Would it be OK to sticky this? I don't want to abuse the "sticky" feature.

Comments

• BryBry
    edited March 2008
    Colleen: I think it wouldn't be out of place for it to get a sticky, but I kinda want a sticky thread to collect all the ongoing / long-term-ish projects [e.g. Travels of Code Monkey (1 and maybe 2), Spiff's videos, suuuupaadave's instructional vids, JoCopedia, etc.].

I'll sticky this for now, then once I've created such a thread (which might be, to some extent, a redundant reduplication of the JoCopedia "Fan Projects" page, except that the thread can be bumped when milestones are reached), I'll switch the two threads' sticky polarities. :)
  • edited August 2008
    Code Monkey Visits Nixon, Yoda. New pics from Orange County, CA. Awesome pics, Gle3nn! :-D

• edited August 2008
    Code Monkey visits Yahoo! New pics from his first visit to Dallas, TX. Thanks, Ben!

• I am pleased to announce that the second project travels of the hphmm has got its very own photo album up with the first set of pictures available. It can be found here. It looks like we should have a good run, check back for updates.
  • Sorry to ask this, but I really don't have time to read the 9 or so CMP messages in my inbox. My fault I know, but could I have a very brief overview of what's going on? If anything.
  • Both (m/p)onkeys are circulating. Neither looks to be UK-bound for several weeks yet.
  • Rightio, cheers Bry!
  • I currently have Code Monkey, Jon Who. He came today... We'll be taking him out on the town tomorrow.
  • edited May 2008
    More Code Monkey pictures! Thanks to Jim in Lawton, OK and Linz in Wichita, KS.

Code Monkey on the First of May in Lawton:

Code Monkey with Joan of Arc in Wichita:
  • What is Joan of Arc doing in America?
  • I was going to ask the same thing.
  • Joan of Arc is everywhere.
  • Love the first of May pic- with the binoculars! And does lil code monkey look somehow a trifle >smug< there?
  • @Jon & Gle3nn: I dunno. I just reports the news.
  • According to my Google sources...

"In 1970, a stone statue of Joan of Arc was presented to the people of Wichita by the people of Orleans, France and was dedicated at a location near the Kansas Gas and Electric Company reflecting pool. It was removed from its original site in 1987 in response to concerns about its condition. A copy in reconstituted stone is currently in storage and is scheduled to be placed at City Hall.

In 1996, a bronze copy was cast in Rome and dedicated to a new site in front of the Wichita Public Library."

According to Wikipedia, Orleans is one of Wichita's sister cities.
  • Thanks for your search-fu, mucklet. :-)
  • edited May 2008
    Heyyy. Ignore this.
    (But cool pictures ;))
  • Hey, I've not had much free time to arrange and post my pics to the official site but you can see my raw images with no explanation over at my Flickr page.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robgonzo/sets/72157605312759649/
  • I see Code Monkey got a lot of cleavage action at faire! Code Monkey in hot pants was a little disturbing, though. ;-)

Thanks for the pics, Rob!
  • btw my mail i got for the google group isent working so trying to fix it
  • edited June 2008
    I have been shirking my duties here. Code Monkey recenlty visited IndigoMonkey in St. Louis, MO. Too many monkeys? You decide...

• edited July 2008
    For those still wishing for updated, I have the Ponkey (group 2) currently in New Zealand, heading for Germany this week!
    Photos here.

Here's a taster:
  • Ceridwyn -- I just have to post to say I really enjoyed seeing Ponkey in Christchurch. It was a great collection of photos, and it really gave me a feel for a city I knew nothing about whatsoever except its name. Plus it gives this great sense of immediacy to the idea that seasons differ on opposite sides of the equator. I mean, you know these things intellectually, but the sight of a ponkey more or less today watching snow fall, while my own area has a Heat Advisory, brings it all home so much better. Thanks so much!
  • Excellent travelogue, Ceridwyn. Ponkey looks very happy and, depite her/his? genetic manipulation and its monsterish result, he/she appears to be confident in his/her roll. Watch those ducks, Ponkey - they can be brutal during mating season.
  • edited July 2008
    Thanks guys! I hoped people would enjoy seeing round a city that ordinarily you may not have visited! I feel the same way browsing the albums of Code Monkey and Ponkey. I'm unlikely to visit the states in particular any time (perhaps ever!) and one would rarely get to see the city from the point of view of a local rather than a tourist, so I think this is a great way to virtually tour some beautiful places and for free!
    I really love my city and showing off some of my favourite sites gave me a whole 'nother appreciation for this beautiful place I'm so lucky to live in!

And yeah I did think that the snow would amuse people in warmer climes! I actually took a short 10 second video of Ponkey watching the snow fall but Picasa doesn't like vids :(
    Even his previous stop in Melbourne would have been far from snowing I'm sure!

This is a great project and I feel so lucky to be part of it! Its great fun!

I'm sending Ponkey off to QueenKalliope in Germany today!

(LAST RELEVANT COMMENT ON TOPIC)
  • Ceridwyn: The picture embed didn't show up in your previous post. Try copying the embed code directly into your post, without using the "img" button. Awesome photos, BTW. :-)
  • I'd love to Colleenky, if I could find the embed code. I know how to do that with Photobucket, but I'm new to Picasa. Can anyone give me a clue, or can I just use BBCode like [img]url[img]?
  • Sure thing! There's more code than that. When you click on a photo in the album, there's a link on the right that says, "Link to this photo." You'll get a drop-down with the choice "HTML to embed in website." Before you copy that code, though, select the size of the image from the drop-down immediately below. (I usually choose medium.)
  • edited July 2008
    Well on the Ponkey album, there is no such link, nor any drop down boxes

That's what I was looking for. I'm reading Bry's FAQ at the moment to see if that will help but I'm suffering from a case of the TL;DRs tbh.

Edited to delete img.