Seadogs, Shellbacks, Patrick O'Brian readers

edited January 2015 in JoCo Cruise
"Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off—then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. " (opening lines of moby dick)

Any Sea or Pre Monkeys love the sea and particularly the literature and history of sail?  Want to exchange pointless banter?  Well, have at 'er.

To start, here is a link to a funny little text based choose your own adventure type naval game, Choice of Broadsides 

Comments

• Are golden shellbacks allowed?

I'm a little salty, with quite a bit of military spray in my beard. I've never sailed the Caribbean, though. Are there any neat sights to see from a nautical perspective?

I'd love to spot some whales or flying fish. I've seen the green flash before, but I have no hopes of being able to catch that particular will-o-the-wisp a second time.

On a related note, the Home Office granted my request for the cabin with (presumably) the most ocean motion on the boat (high and forward). The ship's a little big for me, but I'm looking forward to at least a little rocking on the high seas.
  • Ah, the elusive golden shellback!  Do you also have a blue nose?

I have seen flying fish, more around Barbados, and they have jumped in the boat with me, too! Maybe we will be lucky on this cruise, though they'd have to be olympic level flyers to get in this boat.
  • edited January 2015
    I'm a dreadful lubber who loves the sea - I get seasick at the drop of a hat - was once seasick for 3 complete weeks coming out of Seville!  The Caribbean should have some good swells for you. And I envy you your sea legs.

As to the caribbean, I have only been to parts - so far, Bonaire wins for snorkelling - it's been a marine park for over 30 years, the windward islands for sailing and general gorgeousness (Grenada, the spice island, St. Vincent and the grenadines...).  Closer to where we'll be, tortola is lovely and the baths at Virgin Gorda are spectacular.  Well! we aren't going to any of those notable places, unless someone grabs the con. 

I've never seen the green flash. Will watch for it now.  I did once see a strange sky over curacao - it was like green and pink stripes.  I swear it wasn't a dream... And of course, being canadian, sundogs and northern lights.
  • The dread remora (excerpt from Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander:

'I beg your pardon, sir, but Captain's compliments and would you like to see something amazingly philosophical?' cried Babbington, darting in like a ball.

After the dimness of the gun-room the white blaze on deck made it almost impossible to see, but through his narrowed eyelids Stephen could distinguish Old Sponge, the taller Greek, standing naked in a pool of water by the starboard hances, dripping still and holding out a piece of copper sheathing with great complacency. On his right stood Jack, his hands behind him and a look of happy triumph on his face: on his left most of the watch, craning and staring. The Greek held the corroded copper sheet out a little farther and, watching Stephen's face intently, he turned it slowly over. On the other side there, was a small dark fish with a sucker on the back of its head, clinging fast to the metal.

'A remora!' cried Stephen with all the amazement and delight the Greek and Jack had counted upon, and more. 'A bucket, there! Be gentle with the remora, good Sponge, honest Sponge. Oh, what happiness to see the true remora!'

Old Sponge and Young Sponge had been over the side in this flat calm, scraping away the weed that slowed the Sophie's pace: in the clear water they could be seen creeping along ropes weighed down with nets of shot, holding their breath for two minutes at a time, and sometimes diving right under the keel and coming up the other side from lightness of heart. But it was only now that Old Sponge's accustomed eye had detected their sly common enemy hiding under the garboard-strake. The remora was so strong it had certainly torn the sheathing off, they explained to him; but that was nothing – it was so strong it could hold the sloop motionless, or almost motionless, in a brisk gale! But now they had him – there was an end to his capers now, the dog – and now the Sophie would run along like a swan. For a moment Stephen felt inclined to argue, to appeal to their common sense, to point to the nine-inch fish, to the exiguity of its fins; but he was too wise, and too happy, to yield to this temptation, and he jealously carried the bucket down to his cabin, to commune with the remora in peace.

And he was too much of a philosopher to feel much vexation a little later when a pretty breeze reached them, coming in over the rippling sea just abaft the larboard beam, so that the Sophie (released from the wicked remora) heeled over in a smooth, steady run that carried her along at seven knots until sunset, when the mast-head cried, 'Land ho! Land on the starboard bow.'