Twitarr Beta

edited January 2015 in JoCo Cruise
The Twitarr beta is live! Please test and provide feedback! I love feedback! We have less than four weeks to the cruise so please test away!

Please test on your phone! If you have problems please tell me what platform you're having issues with!

http://jccc5.rylath.net - The server has a self-signed certificate - there will be certificate warnings that you'll have to wade through to get into the server. 

After a couple of days I'll post this link to the FB page - I just prefer a smaller (and likely more familar) group initially.

Known issues:
  • Main tweet page performance is a little sluggish.
  • Login is ugly and in a completely different style.
  • Cannot change password.
  • #hashtags look like links but they don't work.
  • Can't edit tweets or posts.
  • Can't reply to tweets.
These should all be fixed before the cruise - hopefully in the next couple of days.

Thanks everybody!

>>>>>>>>>  Nathan

Comments

• I went to profile to add a picture, and it seems to fail. On the phone I get a brief "uploading", then nothing. On Firefox, I select the photo, and then nothing. I'm guessing there is a size limit?
  • Any reason not to advertise this on the Facebook group?
  • @gbasden - thanks for reminding me - I noticed that it didn't refresh the profile when uploading an image. Your profile photo is there, you just won't see it until you reload the page.  :(

@thalandor46 - easier to manage smaller user base if something goes wrong. You can never be too paranoid when rolling out new software.  :)
  • Ok, I'll hold off then.  Glad I asked :)
  • I can't seem to add pictures in android 4.1.2 standard browser (not chrome), either in posts or in my profile.
  • Wow. It looks really bad in IE8. Hopefully someone will tell me it looks okay in IE mobile.
  • @Pneumatic - I can't upload in IE either - it's possible I broke the non-HTML5 upload. 

Can you upload into other sites? Many older mobile browsers didn't allow uploads for "security reasons"...
  • Tried doing a reply and stupidly added  a picture just for kicks.  It's stuck in the "uploading" screen and I can't seem to find a way to just cancel the whole posting?

• @Oboewan - I noticed the same behavior when trying to upload from IE - there's an error somewhere during the upload, but it never returns an error message. Refresh the page and it should be fine. I've got that logged as a bug - if the upload fails it should tell you and reset the "uploading" status.

If I have time I'll put some uploading status bars in - those are always nice for feedback.
  • I "Liked" a couple of posts, but hitting "unlike" just turned the posts blue for a while, without actually unliking.  (Chrome on Android)
  • I can upload photos to the adafruit forums, or I could if only I could convince my phone to reduce the size of the images below 1MB.

• Well that answers that question.  :)

Also, adafruit is awesome. My wife got me a raspberry pi from there for Christmas and I've been working through a bunch of the tutorials.  :)
  • I think not working in IE*8* is a sign to upgrade or install a modern browser.  ;)
  • I tried to search for my username (pneumatic), and it found all my user, my tweets, and even my Seamail, but it didn't find the forum posts, either my reply or the forum I started.

Raspberry Pi is a cool little platform.  I've got one I can stuff in my hat (the hat in my profile picture), though it has a teensy-weensy little problem with the power supply right now, and I don't know if I'll have it fixed before the cruise.
  • Doesn't recognize my username (same as the one here). Doesn't let me create a new account ("We're sorry, but something went wrong. If you are the application owner, check the logs for more information."). This is on Chrome on a desktop.
  • Doh! I broke user creating when I was fiddling last night.

@autojim - try again - it looks like you should be able to create an account now. Sorry about that.
  • @kvort_the_duck I just tried creating a user.  The first time I got a blank screen after hitting the create button.  The second time I got a "We're sorry, but something went wrong" error message.  Both attempts failed to create a new account.
  • Bah - trying to fix things in a hurry.

Should work now.
  • Works now, thanks!
  • Android 4.4.2 (Moto X, 1st gen).

User arenson9 wasn't found, so I created a new user arenson9.

Attempted to tweet a bit of text w/ an attached photo. Did not see it show up. Likewise when I attempted to just tweet a bit of text.
  • We're operating on a new database, so everybody will have to create new accounts.

@arenson9 - the odd thing is that I can see your test posts. Including the photo. Are you using Chrome or the stock Android browser or something else?
  • edited January 2015
    @kvort Repost from forum: Had a fatal crash after clicking on the "Forum" root directory link. "502 Gateway error". iPhone 4 on iOS 7.1.2. Had to re-boot Safari and refresh page.
  • edited January 2015
    I'm in now, on the desktop. Trying the phone now.

ETA: Also in and able to post from Chrome for Android (4.4.4 on a Samsung Galaxy S5).
  • To the Twit-Arr powers that be:

In order to get you on the ship early for setup, we need you to fill out the Helper Monkey application so that we can get you onto the early boarding list. You can just use one of the textarea fields to indicate that you are only filling it out for Twit-Arr Admin work if you don't also want to be a part of the general Helper Monkey crew.

Thanks!
  • That's gbadsen. He's hardware, I'm software.  :)
  • Sorry for the delay in responding. I don't have my phone in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the browser is Chrome.

I also saw my posts show up later (I'm not sure how later). Maybe there was simply a delay in uploading the photos or something.
  • edited January 2015
    There appears to be some camera inconsistency.  I was able to post both a landscape and portrait photo properly, but my profile photo rotated 90 degrees. All photos were taken directly from the camera, though I did try a previously saved photo in the profile and it too was rotated,

Samsung Galaxy S5
    Chrome

• Profile photos weren't using the exif tags. That's been corrected, and I was updating the server...  when it crashed.

Glenn's gotta bring it back up, but he was suggesting we'd move to a new box, since this one seems unstable. So it may be a while before we have Twitarr back.

>>>>>>>>>  Nathan
  • edited January 2015
    In the meantime, if you just want a server to bum around on and/or point CruiseMonkey at, you can use:

You'll have to create accounts, this is just my personal copy of twit-arr I'm using during CruiseMonkey development...
  • I have Server 2012 installed on my other laptop and hope to get the Twit-arrr virtual server moved over this evening as soon as I get home from work. I apologize for any testing downtime this unexpected hardware issue has caused!
  • @gbadsen got the server back up!

If you haven't seen on FB, the server is up and running. Twitarr team has made many improvements. Profile photos reset again. I think this will be the last time.

Tired monkey is tired.

>>>>>>>  Kvort
  • rhaje - can you answer or point me to someone who could?

Is there likely to be any space at registration where we can run a shadow IT setup station / help desk? Last year there were still people trying to get onto twitarr on the fourth-ish day of the cruise, and I think this would help with that. Not only could we get people onto the services (especially since we'll still be docked and people can download CM) but we can also be more visible for people who have issues later on.

I know I've suggested this before but I'm not sure that translated into an actual request.

Thanks!
  • If you just want to make up a sign and set up shop at the Info Desk that's right outside of the game room, that'd probably be best. There really isn't space in the room itself while registration is going on. We've got more people than ever (again).
  • Could we steal the desk outside the conference center during registration?
  • I forgot about the info desk! I think that'll work perfectly.
  • @origamislayer - that's the info desk that he's talking about, I think...?
  • Yes, the round desk outside the conference centre is the info desk. It should be fine for you to set up there! (:
  • Would there be a way to put PDFs of the daily SeaMonkey in an "official location" on the server, and have some static links to them somewhere in the interface? That way people who want digital copies to keep with them would have an easy way to do it.

I think that just a normal post with an attachment would get lost too quickly to be very useful. If THO could SFTP something into a place and Twit-arr automatically build links based on the contents and "pin" them in some way, that'd be awesome.

If it's too late to try and build something like this in for this year, maybe it's something to put on the list for next time.
  • edited January 2015
    Do iPhones do PDFs? I know they didn't do flash for the longest time.

We can drop them in the public folder and do an announcement with the link every day. This would require zero code changes, just having someone put the files in the correct location and then add the announcement...  Actually, it would require a small code change, since we're not "url-ifying" the announcements. Simple change though.

Would that work? Nice thing is that the announcements time out automatically, so nobody should be reading an old SeaMonkey.

We can always get more fancy next year.
  • Yes, iOS can do PDF, and still can't do Flash (AFAIK). If you open a PDF in the browser, you can send it to iBooks to keep a copy if you want.

Even having only the most current copy available should be good. I figure anyone accessing it that way can keep daily copies if they want them.

If you want to email me at bob at jococruisecrazy dot com to work out the details of file delivery, that might be best. We can test it with one or more of last year's or something.
  • After last year, I thought another good place for a "shadow IT" session for getting people hooked up could be at the welcome aboard cocktail party. There could be an announcement to the effect of "If you need help getting connected to Twitarr, operators are standing by in that back corner over there."

• Twit-arr beta will be shutting down Tuesday evening in preparation for the cruise! If you haven't created an account by that time, you'll have to do it on the cruise ship!

(Accounts will be carrying over from the beta to the shipboard version)

http://jccc5.rylath.net

• I'm late here, but: i registered, installed the cert on my iPhone 6 (8.1), and CM is still insisting that my login failed and that I may need to import the twit-arr cert. 

Suggestions?
  • If it says something about "installing a cert" then you have 4.0.x, which is last year's model, and you're not getting betas.  Still waiting in review.
  • edited January 2015
    I got on Twit-arr a few days ago. Now I can't. I also either can't remember my password or it's not working. I tried resetting it and that didn't work. Now it's saying I'm not a user. Is it down right now?
  • edited January 2015
    Oh, I'm seeing that it says my email and security question do not match. I don't know how that can be true. My email is my email that I always use, and my security question is not wrong. 
  • Nevermind, James sorted it out for me. Thanks!
  • Now that Twit-arr beta is gone, do we know what the IP or URL of the server will be on the ship?

• I think it's going to be http://jcc5.rccl.com - that's what nginx is set to respond to, based on what Home Office has told me. RangerRick and GBadsen are going on early to set up, and if the DNS changes then we'll figure out a way of sharing it to the group at large.