Food allergies and other dietary restrictions

edited December 2014 in JoCo Cruise
Hello! Because the cruise is coming up Soon™, I thought I'd mention the special fun of cruising (or just traveling in general) with dietary restrictions or allergies (actually not that fun). I made a thread for this last year here, but for new cruisers or people with newly discovered allergies or new dietary restrictions, I wanted to bring it up again.

In my experience, Royal Caribbean is very accommodating on the ship with regards to dietary restrictions and will do whatever they can to make sure you are fed in a safe manner. That said, please post here if you have questions, comments, experiences or just wanna kvetch about how much of a bummer it is to have to worry about this stuff every time you set foot outside your own kitchen.

Comments

•  I had a really good experience as a vegan with an onion intolerance last year. Definitely better than on Holland America, which wasn't awful or anything. 

Last year, I brought a vegan chocolate cake recipe and the chef made it on multiple nights. It was awesome! I'm going to do that again this year and hope for the best. 

I'm going to look around for a vegan and gluten free recipe that might be easy enough for them to make cause that'd be even more inclusive. 

How were the GF dessert options last year?  

Oh and one tip, if you need soy milk, I was able to just get them to give me a carton of soy milk the first morning in the buffet, which I kept in the fridge in our room. It was much easier to bring my own soymilk to breakfast every morning rather than finding someone to get it for me each day. 

• I remember the vegan cake! That was so cool that they made it for you.

There was at least one gluten-free dessert option each night, but I have basically zero sweet tooth so I didn't try any. Others at my table said they were good.
  • I'm slowly uploading all the menus at http://shadowcruise.sapphiremind.com/ which have gluten free/veggie/etc status.  Of course there's always secret indian food too  :)
  • I have multiple food allergies and had only one reaction last year when they swore that a meal was safe despite it having a suspicious looking sauce on it. After that they were extra careful and attentive. 

One thing we did learn was that it pays to bring multiple printed out lists of your food allergies. We didn't and I was frequently having to reiterate the list for the first few days. Go to dining room when you first arrive and give them your list of allergies. They will then have you pick out something safe to eat for the first night. Then each night at dinner you'll order the next night's meal. 

Just be aware that your main dining room server will be on top of things, but that assistants might not be. Don't assume that something they are bringing you is safe.

Also, they brought me a bowl of fresh berries for dessert every night which was a nice treat since desserts are typically pretty tough. They did have a baked apple another night too.

• Yes! Berries! They gave me that as an option for dessert too. I like that option even if I didn't have any food allergies because it's a nice alternative to some of the richer dessert options. And it works for vegans!

That's a good idea to bring a list if you have multiple allergies - I find that the servers are pretty good when it's just one thing, but I'm sure multiple allergies can be hard for them to keep track of, especially in a huge commercial kitchen.

The secret Indian food is an awesome option for vegetarians. I think some of the Indian items were vegan in past years but not all, so it is best to ask. I am kind of afraid to try it because of the sauce issue - many sauces in large restaurant kitchens are thickened with flour, and so I tend to avoid sauces as a rule on cruises and at big events just to be on the safe side. Sucks, because I love Indian food!
  • I had Indian food every night. And they made it vegan without onions for my sister and I which I thought was pretty impressive since onion is pretty standard in most curries. Luckily I could eat Indian food every day forever. There were a few nights where, even thought we had ordered the Indian meal in advance, the head waitress told us that the veg option that night was vegan and brought it out as well for us to try. 

An allergy card is a good idea! 

Maybe I can bring a recipe for chocolate mousse and peanut butter mousse that would be vegan and gluten free. Both of those things would be easy enough to make with coconut milk. 
  • edited December 2014
    Fortunately, vegan food without onions is precisely what strict Hindus eat. The Indian food is, in general, the best food on RCI's ships.
  • Nice... How does one request Indian/veggie meals ...in advance, each night??
  • IIRC, speak to the maitre d' or headwaiter before  and request the Indian/veggie meals.  They'll take down your name/stateroom.    It helps if you're willing to sit in the same place/have same wait staff each night (which I tended NOT to do).   
  • That reminds me. Last year they set up tables for those of us with food restrictions so that we could sit at the same tables with the same waiters. I haven't seen that request go out this year. Do we need to mention something to the home office?
  • I was on a Princess cruise that had laundry facilities, and I happily used them. For JCCCX, I have brought a small amount of laundry detergent and done hand washing in the sink.
  • Ugh. Sorry. Meant to post the previous in a different thread.
  • Did they have almond milk available or was soy milk the only non-dairy option?
  • edited December 2014
    @Kathleen, I don't know as dairy is one of the few things I'm amazingly NOT allergic to. But I remember overhearing someone complain that soy was the only option they gave for his coffee. I'm not sure if that was just for the coffee stations or overall.
  • I can help you recover your fumble arenson9. Many people have sensitivities to soaps and detergents. So if they were planning to use the laundry service on board they would need to request hypoallergenic detergents. There, see, relevancy achieved, no mispost!

• It's still off-topic unless someone was planning to eat their laundry. Nice try, though.
  • I eat my laundry all the time.

I'm going to try and bring on small quantities of almond milk and see how it goes.
  • Does the laundry taste better with almond milk?
  • Everything tastes better with almond milk. Especially if you mix chocolate or vanilla in :)
  • I emailed royal caribbean about bringing our own non dairy milk on board and they said: 

Hello,

Hope all is well. You may bring the almond milk onboard so long as it is non-perishable and sealed
    in their original store bought containers.

Best regards,
    Access Staff
    Gus

If anyone wants a copy of this forwarded to their email so you can show them when we get on the boat in case someone says we can't bring it, i'm happy to forward it. 
  • Has anyone with severe Celiac disease travelled with RCI before? Severe like a peanut allergy -- can't even use the same utensils/surfaces unless they've been thoroughly cleaned allergic.
  • edited January 2015
    @broccoli2000 yes - I suggest you do the following:
    - Fill out the special needs form here: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do and let them know about your dietary restrictions.
    - When you get to the ship, go to the main dining room and let the dining room manager know, and let him know you're with our group and how severe your reactions are. In my experience, they have been very accommodating and take all food allergies very seriously.
    - Sit at the same table each night if you can - the dining captains are assigned to the same tables each night. They will give you a menu each night for the next day so the kitchen can know your choice and prepare your meal separately.
    - If dining in the buffet, ask one of the waiters to retrieve a chef and they will either make you something special, or will show you which foods are safe. That said, if you are extremely sensitive to cross-contamination, I do not suggest eating from any of the buffet stations, because other passengers may have unwittingly contaminated gluten-free foods with utensils. The chefs will make you fresh food if you ask.

I bring some of my own food on board for the same reason and RCI will allow you to bring food on board as long as it's non-perishable, so you can bring GF foods with you if you want. That doesn't solve the problem of eating dinner in the main dining room, but as mentioned, the servers and chefs on RCI take food allergies and sensitivities very seriously. You may have to explain your allergy to lots of people, which can be a pain (ask me how I know!), but they will take care of you.
  • Thanks! Already did all the pre-cruise things. I was just getting last minute jitters - worried that the kitchens might not take cross contamination seriously.