JCCC4 Fact Checking Question

edited November 2014 in JoCo Cruise
It looks like there will be a Wired article about JCCC4, which is very exciting. The fact checker has asked me a bunch of questions, one of which I can't confirm personally. Kind of hilarious actually:

25) During JoCo Cruise Crazy 4, did someone post a sign on the wall that read "SNORKS ARE PEOPLE TOO!!! We the undersigned pledge to be nice to snorks and to refrain from making snarky snork comments!" in the game room of the ship?

They say they found a photo of this sign from JCCC3, was it maybe posted again in 4? Can anyone confirm either way?

Journalism is counting on you!

Comments

• I do remember some variety of a Snork's Bill of Rights with signatures on it in the game room from both JCCC3 and 4.
  • edited November 2014
    I can confirm seeing/signing it but do not possess hard evidence of its existence.

I also cannot confirm whether the text appeared as quoted; only that it expressed the same approximate sentiment.
  • I remember seeing that, signed by a lot of people, and I think I might have a photo. I'll check in about four hours (when I get home.)
  • edited November 2014
    Alas, I have no proof it existed on JCCC4, but here's the one from JCCC3 just in case they want another picture of it.

Edit: I was a bit afraid that I'd simply remembered the one from JCCC3 as
    being on 4, but I asked in the Facebook group, and several people who
    were not on 3 claim to have seen one on 4 which was very similar to the
    one on 3.
  • Fantastic, thank you guys. This should be confirmation enough. Hopefully the article doesn't say I'm a monster and our cruise stinks (pretty sure it doesn't say that).
  • edited November 2014
    I hope this isn't too late, but this is the picture I took from JCCC4:

http://www.saucygoose-press.com/wp-content/uploads/Snorks-are-People.jpg

If they want to use it, they can © Saucy Goose Press LLC.

Also, I checked and Wizzer didn't get it. :( So unless someone with a better camera can step forward, mine is the only proof you have of this.

And my favorite detail from the image: "Snorks are friends, not food."
  • The fact-checking email I received was absolutely delightful. My favourite question:

"17) a) During your first JoCo Cruise Crazy, did you forget a hammer (to make your outfits) and had to ask your steward to find one?"

If that fact makes it into the article I will cut it out and frame it! I can't wait to see the article!

(I also found it completely endearing that my email mentioned "JoCo Cruise Crazy founder Jonathon Coulter", which was the only inaccuracy I could find to correct.)
  • Proper fact checking -- like you appear to be encountering here, and which apparently reaches its apotheosis with The New Yorker -- strikes me as the most delightfully obsessive of all pursuits. I'd love to watch the process in person.
  • I was at the same table as the Wired guy the first night at dinner of the cruise.   Nice guy, fun to talk tol  Have been disappointed I haven't seen an article yet, glad it's coming!
  • I think his name was Adam.
  • I checked the Jonathan Coulton tag and the WIRED front page and this article hasn't been posted yet. I sure hope I can read it soon.
  • Paul mentioned on Facebook that it should be on the Wired site on Friday.
  • Well, read the article. Meh. At least the photographer seemed to be having a good time -- I hung out with him several times. 
  • It was an odd article. Seemed more about him and his Issues than the cruise.
  • Yeah, I get that the writer was looking for an angle to approach writing the article, but making it about his personal hang-ups and battle with being a self-hating nerd was decidedly odd.

There are probably a good number of Seamonkeys who use this week to let loose in the extreme, and then go back to mundane day-to-day living in the real world. That's kinda the point of taking a vacation.
  • Hrm. I haven't posted on this forum since 2010, which conveniently coincides with having our second child a few years earlier. But anyways, I finally finished the Wired article, and am now plotting to pull our children out of school to bring them next year (behavior that I frequently used to scorn other parents for doing -- psh, trip to India/China/Europe... isn't your child's education *MORE IMPORTANT*?).

But yeah, despite the writer inserting himself into the story (and honestly, from the comments on the site and here, it seems like he's a nice enough guy and really was writing the confessional stuff from the heart), it totally looks awesome and I'm supremely jealous of y'all.

And when I further explored some of the featured subjects and their stories, finding out that chicazul set up a science fair onboard for a girl missing hers... OMG.

JCCC2016 (or is it just JCC2016 now?) here we come! (Hopefully...)
  • Oh snap. I did not know about https://macaroniandcruise.com/

Many thanks to voidweller for posting that in the Wired comments.