Ideas for helping new cruisers acclimate?

edited March 2014 in JoCo Cruise
I posted this in the JCCC4 Post-Mortem thread, but I thought it might deserve its own topic. What I'd like to know is this: what can veteran Sea Monkeys do to help new Monkeys out? I know a lot of us have social anxiety issues, insecurity, and fear of rejection (I have all of those myself in some form or another), and it can be really intimidating to approach a group of strangers, especially when they all seem to know each other already. Someone compared it to starting at a new school, and having done that multiple times as a kid, I know exactly how that feels. And I really don't want us to seem like the already-formed clique that or scares off new people.

My thoughts:

* A button or badge that indicates that this is my first JCCC. It would be similar in function to the "Hi" buttons that Sara made, but it would have to be better explained and easier to find -- a lot of people either didn't see the buttons this year or else didn't read the explanations of what they meant.

* A buddy program, where a veteran Sea Monkey volunteers to be matched up with a new Monkey for as long as the new Monkey needs to feel comfortable -- the "big brother/sister" Monkey would show the new one around the ship, introduce him/her to some of the other returning Monkeys, maybe play some games with them, explain the in-jokes from previous cruises...whatever.

I should add that I also think that whatever we do, although The Home Office doesn't necessarily need to be involved in coordinating or implementing it (I'm aware that they have more than enough on their plates), I do think that it would be extremely helpful if they could spread the word. I talked to a lot of people on JCCC4 who didn't know about the Ambassador program, didn't see the buttons, didn't realize what they meant, didn't know about the forums or Facebook groups...any effort we make to help new Monkeys will not reach the ones we most want to reach unless THO helps us there -- they have access to the new folks that we don't.

Comments

• Oops, missed the other thread. (Saw the Ambassador one, but I forgot about the other one.)

My thought in posting here was to ask people who were actually new on JCCC4 for their thoughts, but if we have too many threads, a moderator can feel free to delete mine. I'd do it myself, but there doesn't seem to be an option to.
  • edited March 2014
    I mostly just don't want to inadvertently have the same basic conversation that was had last year, since it seems like the results of last year's conversations were only partially effective based on this year's feedback from new people.

Mods may care way more about threads!

I do want to repeat my refrain from last year: that whatever steps are made to welcome and acclimate new people should not (either inadvertently or intentionally) draft people into doing work they have not volunteered for or dictate how people spend their vacations.

(For example: Designating a few tables meet-and-mingle tables is awesome! Mandating the first night's dinner as a meet-and-mingle night in which everyone in the main dining room must sit with strangers: not so much.)
  • Totally agreed. Like I said, though, much as I value the opinions of people who've been on the other cruises, I'd really like to hear from the new ones, especially those who were new to JCCC4. But yes, I think we can all agree that we don't want to impose more work on anyone who isn't interested. The goal is for everyone to have a good time, new people and veterans alike.

I do think that the main reason the efforts this year weren't that successful was because not many of the new people knew about them. Whatever we do next year will probably be equally effective unless we can spread the word, and the only sure way I know to do that is via The Home Office.
  • I think part of the reason things aren't known about is because there's such a mad rush in the last couple months and no good one single place to find out about stuff.  So much is spread out and hard to navigate, IMO
  • @stitchinthyme I agree that this is valuable! That is exactly why I'm trying to get opinions on what did and didn't work about the Ambassador Program, especially from those new Sea Monkeys it was designed to help. Things like the buddy program are already on the list for next year, as is attempting to coordinate with the Home Office to get the word out. My only concern about the multiple threads is it gives that many more places for me to look for feedback. (:

I disagree that this year's Ambassador results "weren't that successful". Considering how little advertising or follow-through happened (ie, complete lack of signage or explanation after the first day) I was surprised by how many people felt it made a positive impact! There's definitely room for improvement, and not being a last-minute afterthought means it's already off to a better start!
  • edited March 2014
    One of the bigger things I would have appreciated would be some quick and easy sheet in the newsletter explaining the slang, running gags, etc, instead of finding them after the cruise on the wiki, by accident. 

It would also be fantastic to have some kind of vendor section where crafty people can "market" their stuff, like @liquidsasquatch with his fantastic steins, and @isildur42 with the hug tags. It was annoying to miss out on some of that stuff, and only finding out about them after the cruise.
  • A thought that had crossed my mind as the trip approached was bringing a hard copy of the Primer along with me.  But due to time constraints, needing some modification (it has quite a few links that are meaningless on paper), and uncertainty over optimal distribution, I decided against it.  That is something I could put a lot more thought into for next year.
  • BryBry
    edited March 2014
    (forum admin hat on, clouds of dust and furious coughing)

Longstanding policy (though I defer to @chicazul / @paulandstorm / any other mod who's actually not been AWOL for a year) has been to shy away from deleting threads, barring inadvertent double-post, offensive conduct, or other caprice of the forum mod. (I won't say I've never deleted a thread, but if I ever have, I hope I've been adequately transparent about it.) Where appropriate, there's usually been a soft redirect (thanks for that, @villicious!) to another relevant thread where the conversation could continue.

That said, personally speaking, I see the merit in a separate post-mortem for JCCC4 to go alongside the prae-morte planning threads. Also, there's way too much good content in this thread already by this point to talk about merging anything :)

(admin hat off, hair full of dust bunnies)

I was a new Sea Monkey this time! I've been in the weird place all week of being a longtimer in this particular community while a total cruise newbie who's not been on Twitter or Facebook (or, let's be honest, this forum, recently), so I oscillated between feeling I knew a lot of people and scarcely anybody. I won't pretend my experience is typical. Assorted thoughts:
    • I'll leave Sea Monkey Ambassador comments in the thread about same. Overall my impression was positive, but more on that when I've written it!
    • Really my problem was that the cruise was too short! It took me a few days to get into the swing of things, to feel comfortable enough to initiate conversations, to know enough people to where I could find someone familiar to talk with in a crowd. I am, needless to say, no extrovert, and I was never going to meet everyone on board, but I feel like if the cruise had gone eight days, I'd have come a lot closer.
    It's just that I met so many people in such a short amount of time that it was hard to keep everyone straight in my mind (#humblebrag), and so I kept worrying I'd offend somebody by forgetting details from some previous conversation. Never mind that I'm myself nondescript enough that other people almost certainly did the same thing to me without my realizing or minding.
    • Speed Meeting was awesome -- thanks, @Thalandor46 and everyone else who helped organize it! It was great to speedmeet @fizzgig and others whose handles I don't know. I can't claim I made much of an impression on anyone in the allotted time, but I feel like it really started paying dividends later on, the second or third time I encountered someone. Yet again, there would've presumably been more such repeat encounters if the cruise had gone longer...
    • I think I could've benefited from an optional mini-orientation; everything sorta trickled in over the course of the cruise, but it might've been useful up front. Actually, everything in the Primer looks pretty great, @Thalandor46 -- maybe all I'm looking for in an "orientation session" is someone to read the relevant bits to me in a soothing voice (also to get a chance to look around the room at all the other new people).
    • First cocktail party was a little "Big Bad World One"-themed for me; random insecurities made it seem like everyone was already friends with everyone else and I was intruding. It was useful mostly as a bookend to the last cocktail party, where I also wandered aimlessly but actually also talked with people, which is some sort of sign of progress I guess.
    I'm not sure how to make the first cocktail party better, though -- it really is the first chance for a lot of returners to catch up with old friends, and I don't know how great I'd feel about asking anyone, even Ambassadors, to give that up and engage with newbies instead. (Also, personally, I am not a loud talker, so it's hard to make small talk in a loud environment.)
    • CruiseMonkey and (especially) Twit-arr were really amazing at helping me feel a little more included in stuff. For the first couple of days, I felt I didn't know what everyone else was doing when there wasn't anything scheduled -- by the end of it, there were so many things I wanted to do (especially ones spontaneously organized on Twit-arr like starcloudgazing) that I could hardly keep up.
    • Also, this won't help anyone else probably, but I definitely did open-mic as a gambit to give people some point of reference for talking to me -- @Thalandor46 joked at one point that I must've done it just to make sure he recognized me, which was actually considerably accurate. Of course, I was too busy freaking out before/during/after to actually keep up conversation with anyone who came up to chat with me.
    • (Along those lines, though, I wonder if it'd be useful to have a little sticker or something where you could optionally suggest some subjects for people to talk with you about -- not to limit conversations, of course, but maybe to start them off. Also, I love our badges this year and look forward to actually legible ones in the future.)
  • Random idea, what if CM included a recent snapshot of the wiki or something like that? A glossary/jargon file/whatever?

• @mikesphar  Would totally LOVE a snapshot of the wiki in CM!  
  • @rangerrick - would it be possible to integrate CM/twitarr into a CMS? we could turn off features on the boat, but the base wiki/users/etc would be there.
  • I thought the Ambassador program was a good idea, but personally I felt like I couldn't do it because I'm not on 100% of the time.  I didn't want someone to start something up with me when I wasn't in the mood.  It did help me seeing other peoples' "hi" pins because then I could make more of an effort to say hello when I was feeling in the mood.

This was my 2nd JCCC and I recognize now why the opening cocktail party is so problematic for new cruisers.  For veterans it's like a big, fun reunion!  But for new cruisers, the reunion atmosphere means no one goes out of their way to talk with them and at the same time it looks like everyone else is having a blast.  It might help to use a section of the room as a designated "first timers" area then, so they can find people who are interested in meeting up.

(I know speed meeting is supposed to solve this problem, but there's only so many people who want to go to something so explicit!)
  • @rkcr Love that idea.  People don't have to stay in the newbie section, nor would it be excluding veterans, but at least new people could all gather together if they wanted and know they were with people in the same boat, in you will forgive the play on words.
  • @rkcr Speed meeting is awesome, but I still only got a chance to meet a small number of people there. This is my third JCCC and I still feel like I only know a microscopic fraction of folks. I like your idea of a people meeting area at the opening party!
  • I'm starting to consider just carrying a big sign to the opening cocktail party saying, "New Monkeys, come talk to me!" Because for what it's worth, even though I'm a 4-cruise veteran and I know a lot of other Sea Monkeys and recognize even more by face if not by name, it's STILL hard for me to go up to people and strike up a conversation.
  • goodness, I know I'm wordy, but apparently I need to break this into three posts, and I'm still not even sure I'm posting in the correct thread!

Thalandor46 my cruise newbie friends I sent the primer to last minute LOVED it and appreciated it immensely. They mentioned so more than once last week. They totally missed it in previous online mentions. 

What might be a fun idea - of course all my fun ideas are work for someone - is to have a super decorated ostentatious copy of it at the info desk (I'm envisioning a gaudy joco indexed and three ring binder version of the necronomicon) and make sure everyone knows it's there to look at. It might even be fun to have more than one person volunteer to put together a chapter, and we can have pages that other people can add to. It would be a fun thing to idly stop and read for newbies and old pros, and it would also be something to invite conversation while at the same time broadcasting that no one knows everything, no matter how much we act like we do.

I'm not sure I'm going on 5 yet or I'd totally volunteer to spearhead this project. I love bookmaking projects. 

Or I suppose we could ask that the primer be added to cruisemonkey. But where's the fun in that?

• edited March 2014
    @stichinthyme I think it's still hard for a lot of us to go up to people and talk to them! I walked into the farewell cocktail party late and just stood and people watched instead of braving the mingling. Which is absurd I know. I think the problem is compounded because we don't always want to be talked to and we know it and so don't want to necessarily force ourselves upon others.

I think that any of the solutions should be friendly to the shy non first timers too, which I think Chicazul's buttons did broach since they weren't specific, the real problem is the visibility. I often didn't even notice a button until after I was talking to someone. And I'm normally considered an observant person. I'm really glad people with Hi buttons were comfortable starting conversations with me.

We should also accept, that no matter how much information is given beforehand, it's going to be like the first day at a new school. Or the first day back after summer vacation. Or more accurately, the first day at summer camp with a bunch of kids you only see in camp once a year. Some of us do our homework, we make sure we read each book on the summer reading list, (and a LOT of information is emailed to those who register,) but honestly a lot of people aren't good at homework. Or reading. And we don't want the cruise to feel like work even if it will help us in the long run. Now .. how to fix?

I was in love with the speed meeting concept, yet was too intimidated to go. Maybe for the first couple of days have some smaller safe gatherings at different hours and there can be a rotating group of expert extroverts to lead it with some cruise talking points. It will be tricky to balance, because no one wants to hear about the awesome stuff on cruises past that they missed. (We loved Celebrity Artemis this year and would like to quit hearing about how much better it was last year please!) Or performers they didn't see. But maybe, like, the primer stuff. The things that have made it into lore. Let's talk about the legacy of the mustache memorial and why it exists and who really knows why we wear fezzes anyway? (except you know, that fezzes are cool) Let's talk about that Coulton used to open for Paul and STorm once upon a time, and don't we all remember where we were when we first heard Code Monkey? Something bonding and orienting and safe.There is a reason we're all here after all!

It would probably be most beneficial that first day, we're all getting on the boat at odd hours and don't really know anyone and where to go and ESPECIALLY before we get our lanyards we don't even know who's a fellow sea monkey yet! We look at one another suspiciously, that is a firefly reference on your shirt, but can we be sure?

I'm trying to think, back in the day we did real life gatherings for our guild and it was always weird. Always. You're suddenly hanging out with these people that you spend hours and hours with online and feel like you know but you've never met and all of a sudden you don't know what to say. Sure getting fifty people together isn't like getting nine hundred, but the feelings are no less different. We made sure to have an open community area from minute one and that helped a lot but with each meeting there was someone who vanished never to be seen again. Angst got the best of them. And it was a failure on our part at building culture each time.

Maybe a pre cruise monkey buddy system. Share some emails with in a non public setting and you can ask all the questions in the world without fear of sounding stupid. Helps you build that connection with someone and someone makes sure to look for you and meet you and you have one less strange face immediately. The problem is how to get people who need it and aren't paying attention to find out about it. This is totally like the mentoring program someone else suggested but starting from an earlier place. For those who don't know it might help to have a sign up sheet or something so they can get paired with a buddy. You're not responsible for your pairing, it's just, the chance to have one more person be real.

This will also help with the dinner seating issue I've read about. That breaks my heart a little. I really really hope there were no singles who didn't find a spot as we had an extra chair not one but two nights.
  • edited March 2014

In summary:

• Large Joconomicon at the info desk
    • Establish gathering spots for monkeys to congregate from the moment the boat lets us on. We know the boat now, this should be easy. The longer we wait to meet strangers the more time it allows self doubt to whisper into our ears (and we chicken out).
    • Host orientation "office hours" open to anyone the first few days. (Some snorks might learn something!)
    • Create a pre-cruise buddy system so you know at least one more person before getting on - this will be good for newbies, experts, and the persistently shy
    I just realized some of this needs to be applied to the official hotel too. I know based on Facebook that people tried (I wasn't at the hotel) but I also know how lost a lot of people felt and like it was a giant box of missed connections.

Also - in other news - I just realized a big perk of the lines - we made lots of friends standing in line! The line to get on the boat, the line to check into the boat, the line to be allowed on the boat, the line to register, the line to get into the events. Don't get rid of the lines, we need them! They force us to talk to the strangers next to us. :)
  • @ateleria   I love that you brought up making friends in line!  Oddly enough, as a new monkey, I could talk casually to lots of people (you know, make a smartass comment, etc.), but then everyone walked away without actually knowing names, etc.  I know I missed some good opportunities, but I don't know how to avoid that.  Why is it so hard to move from smartass comment to "hi, my name is Amy and I'm new here"????????

I will officially volunteer to coordinate a Joconomicon (love that name!) at registration as long as I can leech from others' brains.  That would likely be a good opportunity to spam people with any/all info for newbies or those just looking to get more involved (captive audience!).
  • One issue that keeps popping up over and over again is lack of knowledge -- lots of new Sea Monkeys didn't know about the forums, or the FB group...over on the Post-Mortem thread there was even mention of one who didn't know about the game room or the Shadow Cruise events! Now, those last two were definitely mentioned in the daily Sea Monkey, but the first day or two I had to point several people to the Shadow Cruise listing, because they had missed it.

A lot of the problem, I'm sure, is information overload -- with so much info to share, people are bound to miss something. But is there any way we can maximize the signal-boost and try to get as much info to as many Sea Monkeys -- with special emphasis on the new ones -- as possible?
  • edited March 2014
    I don't know what the Official Monkey Count was, but before we left on the cruise there were 500+ people in the Facebook group. Given that not everyone does Facebook, that actually seems like a pretty good number to me. There was a pinned post at the top of the group directing everybody to the forums and the Wiki for months leading up to the cruise. As of right this minute there are 602. People have definitely come in post-cruise, but it's not as though the majority of people on the cruise had never heard of the Facebook group.

I mentioned (somewhere? maybe not this thread) that I remember the Facebook group etc. being mentioned in an official Home Office email on an earlier cruise. I don't think it was on this one. But, I think that would be useful. I also remember asking JoCo and Paul and Storm to tweet the links before, although I don't remember if that was this specific year or not. Some of this may be tied to many of the most active forum/Facebook people also being multiple-year cruisers who have checked things in the mental "done" box even though those things were done for an earlier sailing.

The forums are linked up from the FAQ on the JCCC website.

All that said, no matter how much we put it out there, there are going to be people who do not know about the forums/Facebook group/whatever.
  • I only figured out there was a Facebook group the end of January, and only because someone referenced it on the forums and I put two and two together, and then I had to go hunting for it which was harder than I wanted to to be. (It took me MINUTES instead of being magic)
  • I think all the different places need to have prominent links to each other, that would help. 
  • Since I now know that I will be a first-time cruiser next year (barring any unforeseen, etc.) I will offer up my totally non-helpful observation that from everything I've read, sea monkeys put more time, consideration and planning into bringing newbies into the fold, than anyone at any con I've ever seen, and I've been to a good number of them. I am so very inspired by this and want to say thanks in advance and can't wait to meet you all in person! /gush
  • How do we get the newbie info on the main JCCC website?  Before the cruise, that's all I knew about, and even after I just found a tiny note about the forum and Facebook pages buried within the site.  Can we have a sidebar devoted to newbies?  I would have eaten that up.  Anywhere people HAVE to go seems like a good place to raise awareness.

Way out there idea: when booking, maybe newbies could self-identify and we could send snail-mail welcome packets?  I would definitely subsidize costs.  I know email is easier, but in my heart I'm still a dork in college who loves getting mail.  :)
  • @amyazing there is a Facebook group called MPTA: Monkey Postcard Trading Alliance. There's a Google doc you can add your address to. We send postcards to one another between cruises.
  • Re: the new monkeys not knowing about resources on the internet...

There's at least ONE e-mail that we all have to get/read/pay attention to during the course of booking. I was thinking if the Home Office could put a primer (or FB group, or forum) link in the cabin assignment e-mail or similar a similar Very Important piece of communication, it could help alleviate a lot of the "I didn't know!"

That having been said, I was a new monkey on 4. I was also apparently ridiculously well researched comparative to what I'm hearing about here, so I'm not sure how much it would actually help anyone.

The cocktail party did have me on my back foot for a few minutes, but since we had gone and met people at the JoCotel the night before, it helped to give us familiar faces to at least wave at or bump into. FWIW, I wore a "hi" button for most, if not all of the cruise, and if Ambassadors is offered next year, I'll probably join and help out.
  • @GroovyFrood  Thank you for the tip!
  • @BadWolfkit  Out of curiosity, how did you know about the FB pages, etc. prior to the cruise? 
  • @aymazing When I signed up, I pretty much read the JCCC website end to end. I think the "contact" page suggests signing up for the forums, so I lurked here and found the FB group from there. I found the SeaMonkey Primer from that, which was immensely useful, and now here we are.

It was pretty much born out of the phobia of being the only student in a class that doesn't know what the hell is going on, so, I guess I had that going for me. I was also an avid user of Twit-arr and CruiseMonkey once on board, again, due to that phobia.
  • I've just had the experience of being a newbie at a convention where everybody has known each other for years, at MarsCon. On the first day I spontaneously acquired a buddy, who knew everybody and called them over the moment I gave the slightest hint of wanting to talk to them (as he'd seen I was hesitant to talk to them on my own.) It was great, and allowed me to integrate into the community a lot quicker, even if I was occasionally put on the spot. It's only a three-day convention, so I imagine I would have just started to get the courage to speak to people on the last day otherwise. So you can add my vote to the 'buddy system' idea.
  • I'd always suspected that, contrary to their cruel cartoon and big-screen stereotypes, Martians were a friendly bunch.

Thanks for dispelling another shortsighted social myth, Miss!
  • edited March 2014
    Something I thought of was having a branch/update of the Geek Code on our badges.  I have a plan to hack something together on Seamonkey.us to demonstrate.  Maybe somehow print on demand stickers to put on badges?

Personally, I end up standing around most of the time just observing.  It would be nice to have some way of indicating a couple of areas to initiate conversation about, so we can geek out together.  By the same token, it might be helpful to know of things to avoid.

I've been thinking of it along the lines of ShadowRun skill trees, so you'd have a general attribute, then a smaller subset, then a specific item.  Something like TV -> SciFi -> Firefly.  And then use something like the Geek Code modifiers to indicate level of interest. 

So TV SciFi + Firefly ++ says I think TV is ok, more so if it is SciFi, and I like Firefly, but there are people who are more into it than I am (hence the ++ and not ++++). 

I could also say TV -- SciFi + Firefly +++ which says that I don't much like TV except for SciFi, and especially Firefly.

I don't think all the modifiers really apply, and I think there are
    others needed.  I like the ! for not participating in the topic, but
    there could also be one for watching vs participating.

This could apply to anything/everything people are interested in. 
    Sports -- Individual - Fencing ++
    Sports -- Individual Darts +
    Sports -- Individual Juggling ++
    !Politics
    !Religion
    Electronics ++ Home Theater ++ TV ++
    Audio/Visual ++ Video ++ Recording +++
    Music + Internet ++ JoCo +++
    Games ++ RPGs +++ Shadowrun ++++
    Games ++ Board Games +++ Hanabi ++++

If each person had at least a couple items like that on their badges, it might be easier to start conversations about other topics than "Oh, is this your first cruise?"  Maybe a Tag Cloud?
  • A tag cloud could be interesting, if it's big enough to be easily readable. Perhaps a freeform 'Ask me about…' area on the backs of the nametags? Mostly I've relied on printed T-shirts as conversation starters, but not everyone likes wearing T-shirts.
  • Sluice Boxes +++
    Hugging ++
    !Taxes
    Corn ++
    Warm Bread ++++
  • I think the easiest thing will be to encourage people to communicate and find groups prior to setting foot on board
  • Sorry if this has been thrown out there already, but I just had a few minutes to attempt to contribute.  I was a new Sea Monkey this year, and I'll echo that I thought a lot of things were done very successfully.  I never really felt awkward from castoff to docking back in FLL.

I did think of a couple things that might be worth considering for next year:

1)  Game tables in the conference center were genius and provided a spot where I knew I could always find other Sea Monkeys should I have a question.   It was also a great place to meet folks in a quieter and more relaxed environment.  I think an idea for next year might be to designate a table with an ambassadorial sort of function.  Maybe stick a sign on it, or just announce it or something.  Play games that go quickly or if we can find something that players can join mid-game maybe.  The idea being that it'd be a good spot for folks to get a game in while waiting for another to open up, ask questions, and meet people.

2)  Assigned POC...  When I was in the Army, when we were to change to a new duty station, someone at our gaining station would contact us and be our contact for smoothing the transition.  Maybe we should do something like that?  When people register, if they mark down that they're new to the cruises, kick that over to have them randomly assigned a JCCC veteran, or maybe just give them an option to check a box for it or something.  That way, you'd have someone you could exchange emails with and knew as you hit the ground.  Worked well for me in the past and seems like something that'd be good here as well.

That is all.  Carry on.  =)
  • I think links to all of the relevant sources of information in the registration part of the cruise website (where you go to answer surveys, pay for your cruise, etc) might be useful, as people have to go there no matter what. 

I know there is talk of a shadow cruise informational session at an early part of the cruise. In order for that to work well, it will need to be announced in such a way that people who don't know that they need to know it will be able to find out about it. 

Which is essentially the problem: for people who don't know what they might want to know, how to we ensure that they have the opportunity to learn it? I don't think there's a way to get 100% coverage, as not everyone has the amount of free time necessary to, you know, plan secondary activities for a cruise they may or may not go on nearly a year in the future, and some won't even think to look seriously through their bag of holding and read what's written in the documentation there. But for those who will be looking, it'd be great to catch them as best we can.
  • I don't mean to sound glib, but maybe asking some new cruisers as soon as they sign up what they need to acclimate? I'm a new cruiser but I've been lurking the hell outta various places & have a friend or 2 to ask questions of. I found the glossary and the wiki to be more helpful than the official site.

DEFINITELY put a link to the glossary on the official site and make it obvious. There's so much slang used re: the cruise (re: your brains?) and so much inside stuff that it's easy for someone new to feel like a total outsider and to feel like this is some big clique and they just don't fit in. (That's actually one of the things I'm frightened of and trying to get over myself. I do feel like I don't fit in, even though back when JoCo was just getting started, I was a VERY active member of this forum. (the old forum that this one got ported from... sadly most of the posts didn't get ported.) I feel like I'll be thrown overboard for admitting I don't like fezzes nor do I get the fez thing.)
  • Nobody will reject you for not wearing a fez or moustache or tiara or whatever the next thing is. They may offer you one if you don't have one but you can say "no thank you" and nobody will mind.

• I am with @villicious on this one. I'm a veteran of three boats and was a Helper Monkey for the first time last year. 80% of the time, I am happy to meet and assist new Monkeys. Another 10% of that I just want to spend with my boat friends, since it's the one time a year I get to see them. And the other 10% of the time, I just want to do my own thing. Even though I'm a Helper, the boat consumes between 65 and 80% of my vacation days each year, and so it's my vacation too.

I would like to see Helper Monkeys get the ability to be Off Duty. I am not an especially visible Helper, so I largely go unnoticed when I'm in the 20% of the time I don't want to be disturbed. I have seen other Helpers get interrupted when they were clearly not working, and I know how much that would frustrate me. Instead of the wrist bands, I'd love to see large arm bands or even Helper Monkey shirts to signify when any given Helper Monkey is On Duty.

As for making sure new people get all the information they could possibly want: I feel like it's all there. It's in the emails, it's on Facebook, Twitter, and the forums. The boat is uniquely well documented on YouTube and flickr. Even the JCCC website has a ton of slideshows from events, which should be a clear indicator that evidence of prior boats exists. I understand the desire to avoid events like Speed Meeting, but that means newbies are electing to eliminate a prime opportunity to get to know other Monkeys. I don't like the idea of being expected to bring folks up to speed if they actively avoid taking the time to research the topics they want to know about. I really dislike the idea of having a new Monkey randomly assigned to veterans UNLESS that is an opt-in situation for veteran Helpers. The tags-on-badges idea is interesting but the format seems difficult, and would likely be better suited to the Manifest, forums, or speed meeting sessions.

If Helper Monkeys have the ability to opt in to providing mentorship to New Monkeys, I'm all for it. But I don't like the expectation that I have to be on and available for questions every moment without first giving my explicit consent to do so. I get wanting to promote inclusivity, and even though JCCC draws a lot of comparisons to a geek summer camp or a con, for me and many others, it's a vacation. Which means we need some time to relax and turn off.
  • I agree the info is all out there, but it is all out there in tons of different places in different formats and is not necessarily *easy* to find/get through
  • I was reading an article and came across this:
    Nine
    Worlds went out of its way to be as accepting and safe as humanly
    possible, distributing color-coded lapel clips to indicate your level of
    comfort when interacting with strangers. A red clip meant “leave me
    alone.” A green clip, and you’d soon be making friends. You could also
    wear a badge with your preferred gender pronouns, and there were jugs of
    ice water in all the hallways in case anyone got dehydrated.
    The color coded clips sound interesting. We could just buy colored paper clips for people to put on their lanyards, though getting people to understand the meaning may take some work. I remember people grabbing @chicazul's ambassador/talk to me buttons and wearing both because 'buttons!'
  • If I understood correctly, the ambassador/talk to me buttons were not intended to be mutually exclusive. :)

The clips do seem like a good idea, but they should have some other way of showing the level of comfort (e.g. a power level type thing?) as well as the colour, for people without perfect colour vision. :) Although, maybe the term 'level of comfort' is misleading/confusing… a high level could mean, 'I'm really uncomfortable approaching strangers and that's why I want you to come and talk to me, because there's no way I'm going to start the conversation myself. I might act a little awkward at first but keep going,' while a low level could presumably mean, 'I love talking to strangers but I need a break right now. You can bet I'll come and talk to all of you as soon as I'm recharged.'

I was afraid for a moment that it was going to say, '…and there were jugs of ice water in all the hallways in case anyone was challenged to tip them over their heads.'
  • I know I saw something about this in the past, but it was in the huge quantity of posts right after JCCC4... are their plans to include "usernames" on our Home Office (TM)-provided name tags so I will actually know who all you wonderful people are?  :)  Sadly, I think my ability to identify folks based on their profile pics will be, erm, minimal.
  • My wooden badge 'Name (@origamislayer)' on it. Having a short first name helps...
  • I think a branch of the geek code is a super cute idea.
  • The issue with the wooden name badges, as cool as they were, the user names weren't stained/highlighted and could barely be seen from a distance.   

• Sharpies were made available for people to color in their usernames if they wanted (some preferred to remain less obvious), but I don't think we made that clear enough during registration. I'll make a note for the team.