JoCo Cruise Crazy 4: The Basics

edited February 2013 in JoCo Cruise
Although booking for JCCC4 is still only available to JCCC3 passengers, we thought we should at least publicly announce the ship, dates and itinerary for JCCC4, so that everyone else can at least start making plans accordingly:

JoCo Cruise Crazy 4
February 23 - March 1, 2014 (6 nights)
RCI's Independence of the Seas
Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Western Caribbean
(Georgetown, Grand Cayman; Falmouth, Jamaica; Labadee, Haiti)

REMINDER: you MUST book through JCCC to attend JCCC4 events; if you book through Royal Caribbean or a third party, you will be pointed at and laughed at, then required to rebook your sailing through JCCC.

Information re: general public booking for JCCC4 will be posted...SOON.

P

Comments

• Can someone send me the link again.  I wrote it down while on the boat, but misplaced the sheet it was on.

• A couple JCCC4 Fun Facts, while I'm still awake tonight:

- We already have more people booked for JCCC4 than the total of people booked on JCCC1.

- The number of people booked on JCCC4 since booking opened--currently only for JCCC3 passengers--exceeds the number booked for JCCC3 in the same time period after booking had opened for everyone.

Thanks, you guys, for continuing to be awesome.

P.
  • *runs around in circles with arms flailing*

The awesomeness is mutual!

What is the limit to the number of monkeys on this ship?
  • @Angelastic And can we give them all typewriters?
  • @Angelastic The upper limit for JCCC4 is based on the number of people that can fit comfortably into Studio B, which is around 1,000. That said, we don't expect to book that many monkeys.

Regardless of what the total monkeypile is for JCCC4, we're already hard at work planning to make sure that everyone who attends will have as "personal" an experience as possible. Feedback from the survey and elsewhere has been super helpful in that regard (as it has been every year), and apart from refining programming and communications on the JCCC end of things, we'll work with RCI to secure the space and other resources we'll need to serve our larger, awesomer numbers.

For we are multitudinous.

- Storm
  • Since it's all returning monkeys so far, I suppose it's a testament to how awesome JCCC3 was.

• What @Saint_Toad said!  And yes, I know it's way too early for this, but since JCCC4 is out of Port Everglades, can the JCCC1 and/or JCCC2 Sea Monkeys tell me if there were Ft. Lauderdale JoCoTels?
  • There definitely was a JoCotel in Ft Lauderdale for JCCC2, but I didn't stay there so I don't remember what it was.
  • There was a JocoTel in Fort Lauderdale last year, the Radisson this year was much nicer though.  The Springhill didn't have much in the way of facilities for gaming or booze.  I'm sure we'll end up somewhere different next year, as we've got such bigger numbers.

• I hope we have a different JocoTel for JCCC4.  The Springhill was poorly organized and had a difficult time coping with a lot of people waiting to get to their rooms.  It did have the bonus of being right next to a Chipotle as well as walking distance to shopping.  Very useful for obtaining sunscreen, booze, additional summer clothes, etc.

• At least the taxi fare to/from FLL and the port/hotels is fairly cheap.
  • @Grimoire - The Springhill was not great then, and would be even worse now given our larger numbers. I hope we can get something along the same lines as the Radisson. The gatherings around the pool, the multiple rooms and the private bartender were all really nice.
  • edited February 2013
    I have a friend who goes on the Cayamo cruises ( http://www.cayamo.com/ ), and from what she's told me, those cruises a while ago reached the point where pretty much the only way to attend the cruise is to have attended the previous cruise, because they similarly offer them to previous cruisers before the general public, and they always sell out before getting to the general public.  Basically the only way to get "in" is to get in as a roommate of someone else who already has a room, then you're able to sign up as a previous attendee the next time.

Those cruises are (I think) still much bigger than us though, so I think it would be a while before we ever reached that point, doubly so on the class of ships we're using now. They may actually take over an entire (smaller) ship as I've seen references to over 2,000 attendees on those. Though I've also read that the main theater on their ship only holds 800, so they have fairly elaborate systems of divvying up tickets to various events where you pick a few favorites to get priority admission to.

Personally I'm happy with all of us being able to fit into the main venues, rather than being forced to pick specific shows we do or don't get to see, even though the idea of having an entire ship to ourselves does have some appeal.  :)

• Oh, wow, so that's the cruise our formerly-local musician acquaintance Robert Ellis was on earlier this year! Looks amazing, which fits -- Ellis is currently on tour with Richard freakin' Thompson; he's exploding in popularity. Which is great, because he is (a) awesome and (b) very, very gifted. 

He's folky, not nerd-folky, but you could do worse than to check him out.
  • Richard Thompson is also on that cruise, which I noticed because I recognised the name from when I saw him at a music festival in 2009, though apparently he didn't make much of an impression because I don't remember the music. Maybe I should check him out again.

I worry that in a few years JCCC will be an exclusive club that new people will struggle to get places on, yet at the same time I worry that there will be so many newcomers-turned-addicts that those who have been on the cruise but can't fit on the next one will destroy the world during that week in a nerd-crack-denial-fueled rampage. And the people on the ship will be the only survivors, and the world will be repopulated by sea monkeys.
  • I think I'd rather see it become a closed group that includes me (and us) than a group so large it loses the sense of community we have now.
  • I see that the Cayamo cruise also has Jill Sobule, who is very talented and funny.

If demand for JCCC eventually becomes to great for everyone to fit on the boat, it's going to be a stronger argument for having multiple events... maybe not all of them at sea.
  • Here he comes again. 

@angelastic: Richard Thompson is a treasure, and a real giant in that certain sort of folk/rock/singer-songwriter world. Search YouTube for "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" or "Cooksferry Queen." In the first part of his career, he was part of a husband-and-wife act with his ex-wife Linda; their first record is "I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight" (1974), and you've likely heard the title song. Their final record together, which coincided (sorta) their acrimonious divorce, is the aptly titled "Shoot Out The Lights" (1982). 
  • Juliana Finch, who has been suggested by some (ahem) as a JCCC4 entertainment choice, has been on Cayamo, and she said it was AMAZING.
  • "I think I'd rather see it become a closed group that includes me (and us) than a group so large it loses the sense of community we have now."

I sympathize with that feeling. But from the other side of the fence, my wife and I are feeling a little left out while you JCCC3 folks are doing all this record-breaking early booking. We *loved* JCCC1 (I still strive to live up to the example that some of you folks set that week), and we would have been on 2 and 3 if they hadn't been scheduled on top of our semester. (It's tough to skip class when you're the one at the front of the room.) We've been used to thinking of ourselves as part of that "us" ever since, so waiting with the public at large this time stings a bit. And that makes me feel all the more sympathetic toward folks who have *wanted* to go from the start, but for whatever reasons haven't been able to.

Anyway, it's a tough balance to strike, I agree, and there really is something special about this cruise-based community-within-a-community. But maybe it's better to trust that the same factors that have brought so many awesome people together so far will continue to make it awesome, regardless of size.
  • I sympathize with the timing issue for students and teachers. I'm slowly working on a degree and my wife is an adjunct professor and the timing of the first cruise was close to perfect for us because school wasn't in session. We didn't go on the second one basically because it was scheduled during the semester. For the third, I had decided to just go on my own (I specifically signed up for an online class this semester so that I could miss a week and catch up on the recordings), but my wife then worked out a way to theoretically allow her to be away for a week with a combination of pre-recorded lectures and proctored exams among other things. Probably won't know for some time if she can pull something like that off again next year.

• I've wanted to bring my wife on the two cruises I attended, but it hasn't been feasible to do so. Not well timed for those in school, alas.
  • @paulandstorm Re: those numbers. HOLY SHIT THAT'S AWESOME. Also, you're awesome.
  • Booked!  YAY! :)

(stealing Kate's line)
  • Steph and I are booking again today and it says that no suites are available for a party of our size.  Are all the Junior suites already sold out?  We'll book the same type as last year but may be interested to upgrade if there are more available.

thanks,

Greg
  • @GregK As of right now, Junior and Grand Suites are all sold out. (They sold out at a rather remarkable rate, actually) We are working with RCI to see if they can make any more available to us.

Your best bet would be to make a note when you book regarding your desire to upgrade if a JS comes available.

P
  • I somehow sense that the implication that we won't hit 1,000 monkeys this year is going to ensure that we easily hit 1,000 monkeys this year, because that's just how these things work.

I did also discover that the GS grants access to an open bar for 3.5 hours each night of the cruise, so there's a benefit with a value proportional to how many cocktails you can drink.
  • The question is, where is the Home Office going to come up with 1,000 typewriters?
  • Just invite 300 or so Marian Calls and we'll be set.
  • @Reldan that's a lot of open bar!
  • "I did also discover that the GS grants access to an open bar for 3.5 hours each night of the cruise, so there's a benefit with a value proportional to how many cocktails you can drink."

@Reldan What?! Tell me moar!
  • edited February 2013
    I wonder if there are other limitations on that open bar, like you can only order one drink at a time or limited alcohol selections.
  • OK, I give up, what's GS short for?
  • I assume Grand Suite.
  • edited February 2013
    Edit:  Nevermind, off topic.
  • @mikesphar Cayamo was hands-down the best musical experience of my life. The way that they handle shows is complicated but needs to be because of how many acts (over 30) they have on board... there are shows in EVERY theater/venue of the ship, not just main ones, and some in hallways and bar areas too. It's crazy and there is no shortage of stuff to see - I went to basically 7 sets of music a day for 6 days, and was playing the rest of the time in various jam sessions and open mic situations. It's hard to miss whoever you want to see, they make it so that everyone gets to see everyone they want to - I haven't heard of people totally missing someone they really love because of having no space - the Sixthman folks go out of their way to make magic happen.

They're usually on the Norwegian Pearl and it's pretty awesome to have the whole ship be nothing but a music festival.  It would be amazing if JCCC got that big - it's a great "problem" to have. ;)

• edited February 2013
    Yes, GS = Grand Suite. Most of the suite bookings offer suite benefits, such as access to a concierge club. I believe the club has an open bar daily. I am not sure of the details.
  • edited March 2013
    Hmm, perhaps getting involved with the presidential suite crowd wasn't such a good idea; I may need to increase my average toward a drink a day to make the most of it.

ETA: I know doctors say you should drink a glass and a half but I just can't drink that much. 
  • Yes, the Grand Suite grants access to the concierge lounge. You also get the concierge services, priority boarding, better toiletries, free luggage valet (the $20pp service that takes care of airline check-in and baggage delivery), and robes in addition to the nicer room/balcony. You also get double Crown & Anchor points.

The Jr. Suite only gives priority boarding, better toiletries, robes, and the double points. Oh yes, and the tub. Even if it is a "tub of death." :)

We had a GS for our honeymoon on Freedom in '08. It was really nice, but overkill for us. We never used the concierge lounge and the only thing we used the concierge for was booking dinner reservations before the cruise - something everybody can do online now. We've now stayed in two JS's (and booked one for JCCC4) and they're perfect for us.

If you're staying in suites, you might as well join their Crown & Anchor club when it becomes available. There are some nice perks.
  • edited February 2013
    For those interested in the complimentary Crown and Anchor Society- you can sign up and activate it now- just need to put in the cruise information.
    One question came to mind- you are eligible for a complimentary upgrade (when available)
    Is this something we can take advantage of give our booking method?  (ie. book an outside but get upgraded to a balcony?)

• Good question, I don't know the answer but its probably a good idea make sure your reservation is tied to your membership as soon as we hear from Home Office if there's any hope of taking advantage of it.
  • I will point out that the GS cocktail hour overlapped with performances and dinner. If you got out of the dining room by 7:30 you could get a quick drink before they closed down by 8. Selection was more limited than the typical RCI bar though.

Mostly it was nice because the concierge service took care of everything needed (questions,  scheduling, adjustments) without heading down to the main desk. In the morning there was fresh coffee available and a light breakfast.
  • Is it mid-March yet?
  • @Oboewan: The answer I got from The Home Office last year about C&A upgrades was "no", due to the group booking.

Note that upgrades trickle down from the upper reaches of C&A rankings and only at the end do they get the base "Gold" memberships for upgrade offers. The C&A levels are, in ascending order: Gold, Platinum, Emerald, Diamond, Diamond Plus, Pinnacle Club.
  • Upgrades can also happen at random. There are numerous stories on Cruise Critic of people who have never even been on a cruise before and get bumped up to a better cabin. Most of the time, this has to do with demand for a specific type of cabin closer to sailing. For example, if there is a demand for more inside cabins, they may bump someone to an outside that they wouldn't sell so they could sell the vacated inside cabin. How they choose who to upgrade is a mystery. Some of it is based on C&A rank and some of it is random.

However, with our group booking, it wouldn't likely be available for us anyway.

I just checked and my husband and I are now C&A "Platinum" after 3 cruises in suites. I did the math and JCCC4 will make us "Emerald." So, um, yay? More B1G1F Johnny Rockets milkshakes and free slot spins for us, I guess.
  • Several of us got upgrades on the first two JCCCs (I moved up to a slightly nicer stateroom of the same class, for example). On HAL, Holland America had given JCCC an allotment of staterooms, but Holland America did the actual assigning. So, as we got closer to departure, they would move people to more expensive rooms to free up less expensive rooms in the hope of selling the cheaper ones. In some cases, we still didn't have stateroom numbers until a week or so before departure.

That doesn't seem to be the way it works with Royal Caribbean. Based on what they've told us and how it worked on JCCC3, the Home Office gets a specific set of staterooms to use and assign, rather than the cruise line handling the stateroom assignments based on their own priorities.

Pro: We all get stateroom assignments further in advance (and, on JCCC3, those of us who made special requests got the chance to say "Yes that room is OK" or "No that room is not OK" ahead of time).  Con: The upgrade thing.

Some of my frequent cruise friends have stories of being upgraded from an interior room to a veranda, unrelated to their status with the cruise lines, but a lot of the upgrades on HAL were minimal ... like an ocean view that sleeps two to an ocean view that is effectively the same but could sleep four.
  • Yea!  I can't wait until it's open to the rest of us to book.  I wasn't able to make it this year (although I tried my hardest!) and I am bound and determined to go next year.  I'm so glad it's going to be back in the Caribbean also.