I Crunch Everything: The Onboard Fitness Thread

edited January 2012 in JoCo Cruise
OK, some of us -- I'm not naming any names -- but SOME of us have been trying to eschew the sedentary nerd stereotype and instead are trying to fall somewhere on the spectrum between "fit" and "badass." I know, it's hard to believe, especially since you can find a picture of the gym with the caption "No thanks" right there on the main JCCC website. But there we are.

I've been thinking off and on about making up a game to play on board, to encourage those of us who are of this particular mindset to not run completely off the rails with our food/exercise, while still having ample leeway for having a great time and eating and drinking delicious things, because, after all, we are on a cruise and that's kind of what they're for.

SO: After some talk on Twitter today in which Maria, Taylor, Brett, Colleen, Blue, Joel and others seemed also to think some kind of fitness thing could be a good idea, we have made up A FITNESS GROUP which we have named I CRUNCH EVERYTHING.

At least, I think that's what we named it. There was a lot going on and I was playing SWTOR while reading Twitter on my phone at the time. If that's not what we decided, holler.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS: Who's with me?

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS: What sorts of things do you think you might do on the cruise to stay fit while not abandoning fun?

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS: Would anyone be interested in playing some kind of made-up point-gathering game, so I don't invest time in it if people will not be interested/think it is stupid?

Comments

• This sounds like a blast!  I'm not sure how active I'll be able to be - I'll probably have surgery a few weeks before.  I'll at least be able to do some walking. I like the idea of the point-gathering game. 
  • What? There's a gym on board?  60 cruises, and I still haven't seen it?

:-)
  • edited January 2012
    I'm in! I would play a game with it as well. 

In all likelihood I'll be running with the Mrs. at least on treadmills, possibly also street runs on the islands. I may also do some yoga or body resistance strength training sorts of work outs as well.
  • FIRST ORDER: yes, I'm in.

SECOND ORDER: so I have this daily Ashtanga yoga practice.  Doing the full Ashtanga series if you are not trained or supervised is not safe, but there is this half-hour series of what are called the "essential asanas" which I can and will lead for interested Sea Monkeys. 

THIRD ORDER: I could play a point game, but I wouldn't be invested in trying to win one.  :)
  • Yeah I'm thinking of a game as more "get points" and less "win."
  • Maybe it could be as simple as putting a sticker on your badge for every workout you do.  Do they make "anime sweatdrop" stickers?  :)

• You know that I'm in, and if you need help, let me know. I was thinking it might be fun to order sweatbands (they're pretty cheap) and give out mini-buttons for each type of activity you complete: Yoga, gym visit, shore running, whatever. Or just the buttons. I'm stealing all of this from a scavenger hunt I did at PAX.
  • (Okay, so they do make anime sweatdrop stickers, but they are super expensive.  May be better off to raid the Staples, if we end up going a sticker-based route.)
  • Stickers does seem like tge most practical idea. Also, @Blue, I'm up for yoga. I'm not hardcore, but a 30-minute thing should be fun.
  • edited January 2012
    There are sea animal "good job" stickers here, or "excellent exercise sparkle stickers" here

Just so you know.

If we did buttons, how would we get them made up?  Because that would be fun too...
  • edited January 2012
    I don't practice yoga myself, but the idea sounds fun. Perhaps there could be contortion classes by the great yoga master Squiddhartha. And/or some activity in the pool.
  • @Blue I would definitely be down for yoga. Last year I didn't manage any exercise beyond dancing and running through the halls, but having other people expect me to show up may help with my good intentions. (:
  • I'd be up for something like that.  I just started working out again today after a couple months off and it wasn't exactly fun.  As far as yoga, I've done the P90X routine several times, but only in the privacy of my own home.  I've got a feeling I'd feel silly doing it where other people can see me.

Hmm, and being that it's a vacationy cruise and all, would everyone recommend working out before or after the morning bloody mary?  I'm guessing before.  :)
  • Due to various limitations, I will probably just go bike in the fitness room. Hopefully before the morning bloody marys ;-)
  • I am all for the workout thing!
  • I'm interested in the 30-minute yoga at least once.

Not sure how much I care about the points. I'll probably work out a couple of times. Knee problems will probably keep me from being involved in anything resembling running. 

• I'm going to try and make sure I do some of the dancing - and try and get some walking/jogging in..... Asthma and back problems keep me from being as active as I wish!
  • I've come up with a few routes for port running for those who are interested. So far I believe that's just me, @ghalidrim, @villicious, and @bethbny. I'm trying to stick around 3 miles. Here's what I like the most so far:

Half Moon Cay
    This island is a bit boring, and we're getting there early enough to squeeze in a run before hitting the beach. According to a few sites, HMC has recently installed a 3.1 mile asphalt jogging loop, so that's the plan for this stop.

Oranjestad, Aruba
    We're not getting to this island until 1pm, so I don't want to plan anything too strenuous. Also, not knowing where we'll be porting, I'm not sure if this will work. Does anyone know where to find that out? Paging @RandalSchwartz! :)

Anyway, here's a hopefully easy, 2.4-mile route that circles a working aloe plantation:

Willemstad (Curacao), Antilles
    Most of the shortish routes I found here were all running on the dike like this:

It's a big loop, so you can make it as short as 2 miles or as long as 4.5. Once again, I'm not sure if this is near where we port, but it looks pretty touristy, so I'm guessing it is.

Comments? @ghalidrim is thinking buttons to commemorate if you run/walk/jog an island. Either one small button for each island, or a larger button with places for stickers (kind of like the old Book-It buttons).
  • "Run" is not in my active vocabulary, but "long walk" definitely is.  I'd be game for being part of the walking crew, if there is to be one.
  • @chayzette - we can go walking together if you'd like!
  • @chayzette - you know, I'm a good long walker too.  So if that comes out as an activity, come find me!
  • I will gladly pick up the sedentary nerd stereotype slack for everyone who participates for this, all I ask is you call the kitchen and ask that a plate of chicken wings be delivered to my cabin in your name once we are on the boat.

(I am mostly kidding)
  • @aliceandstuff not sure, but I think that's one of the things that can be delivered 24x7 to your room for free.  If not, there's at least a dozen other things, including a cheeseburger, tuna sandwich, and cheese-and-cracker plate.
  • This is my first cruise, so I don't know how it works, but this page says the teak decks are perfect for jogging. So I had in my head that I would continue to muddle along in my couch to 5k program while aboard. Has anyone seen people jogging on previous cruises? I also plan to swim and use the weight machines (not concurrently). I'd love to try water aerobics if it's offered.

Yoga makes me feel very stressed for some reason, so even though I love learning new things, I will probably pass on that.

Points sound great, but I would like one for every single crunch :)

(My full itinerary includes these items: rest,exercise, play games, read, sketch, play games, figure out what the noodle I'm doing with my career, do my best to look gorgeous for formal nights, play games, eat as required, try not to get sunburn, discover every nook and corner of the ship, and, of course, play games.)
  • @cathig - I've only been on one other ship (Carnival) and I've seen loads of people jogging on those... So I think you'll be in good company
  • Since I'll be in the same cabin as @aliceandstuff anyway, I'd be happy to help out with the compensatory gluttony. If you want, I could do it while wearing the cycling jersey I just got for Christmas (note: this gift was not given with the intention that I use it for actual cycling.)

Because fat floats, and if we don't maintain the average proportion of it, the boat might be in danger of sinking.

(On the subject of floating, I wouldn't mind going swimming with you fit monkeys. I don't do laps, or anything that resembles 'sport', because that's far less fun than just playing around in the water, but I was surprised that I didn't swim at all on the last cruise, though not terribly disappointed, considering how much fun I had doing other things.)
  • I'd like to do a bit more swimming (also of the 'just playing around in the water' variety) this time around. The only time we did last year was on HMC, which was quite nice for that sort of thing imo. Maybe even snorkeling; I'd better get my butt in gear and look into booking that.

Running is so not my thing, but if the ship has heavy bits of iron I enjoy picking them up, moving them around briefly then returning them to their original location. While grunting, of course. Grunting is key.
  • I'd totally be up for some island running and possibly putting together a crossfit workout on the ship, but that wil completely depend on my better half.   

• Hmm, count me in for at least one of the island runs.  Sounds like it'll be a lot more interesting than a treadmill in the on-board gym.
  • In all seriousness, if you commit to using the stairs instead of the elevators most of the time, you will burn off most of what you consume during the voyage at Chocolate Seduction http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulandstorm/6545366123/

"S"
  • The elevators were so slow that last year I only used them a handful of times. Got around mostly by running up/down stairs and through hallways. I'm not sure full-tilt running through halls is technically approved by HAL, but it sure was a lot of fun. (:
  • Yeah I used stairs over elevators almost 100% of the time last year. Only time I didn't was if I was needing to travel up many many decks and was really really tired.
  • I did the stairs on Carnival as well - granted the elevator didn't seem to take nearly as long as everyone on here says.... Stairs it is though!
  • If I were going, I'd totally be with you on this. However, as I'm not, I can only offer advice. If you go to the gym on the first day, there'll be a sign-up sheet for yoga on Half-Moon Cay. It's one of the aerobic, exercise-y types of yoga, unless they do something different this time through.
  • I'm in for sure!  I've been playing Healthmonth.com online and love the point getting system for following my rules.  I'm playing again in February, but will have to keep track while I'm at sea and then log when I get back to the internets.  Having some sort of point-earning game on board would be a great way to keep me on track during the week away!
  • FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS: I'm with you! Thanks for starting this thread... I no longer feel like the only fitnessy one!

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS: Running around in general is fun! I like running, weightlifting, stretching, treadmill(ing), and just generally moving around rather than sittin' still. 

I love soccer... if we have enough folks for an beach soccer game that might be freaking awesome. 

Last year on the cruise I set and met the goal of not stepping foot in the elevator a single time. With 11 stories that made for a good activity just getting here to there. I vote that be made a "Challenge" with its own sticker badge! 

@mariafi I am definitely up for the Half Moon Cay and Willemstad runs... I can run a mile or two and then will likely walk the rest of the way. I love the idea of stickers for the island routes! As for yoga... I'm with @cathig in that yoga is not my cup of tea... So I'll stick to other activities most likely. Morning stretches would be great though! Especially for those of us nursing back pain or injuries.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS: I'm all in for a points or challenge game. Also, how about I Crunch Everything shirts!? Also, maybe we could make a green shirt with some buff lookin' sea creature!?

• Beach volleyball, anyone?
  • i might not be at the running but id love to do fast walking!
    and id love a shirt!
  • I'm not very good with exercising, but I did take a half-semester yoga class in college and always wanted to do it again - just never found the motivation. A group of sea monkeys doing it might encourage me to try again!
  • There could be an Elevator Temperance Brigade, with its own tattoo and everything.
  • Does anyone else roller skate?  I'd love to do some skating in port, but preferably not alone.
  • edited January 2012
    @Angelastic That would be awesome! 
  • I am potentially interested, but it remains to be seen how involved I'll actually be. I would definitely like to be kept informed of plans tho. I generally like walking and yoga... and dancing, of course. :)

And @paulandstorm, that sounds like it could be seriously problematic! At least for those who eat chocolate (fortunately, I don't). :)
  • I'm definitely up for many of the things listed here, especially with new people. I'm also all for various beach games/sports/etc.

Also are there any swimmers that would be interested in getting together for a couple of short workouts sometime on the cruise? I really hate swimming alone.
  • As I've spent the last year losing 40lbs, I don't relish the idea of putting it all back in one week. 

I'll be up for swimming definitely and more.  I was planning on hitting the track every morning just after breakfast anyway.  Never tried Yoga so that might be interesting.

• Me too, with the losing a bunch of weight and NOT wanting to gain it back! My most favorite active thing is dancing, so I'm up for any class or just group dance party that comes along. I'm also up for some Yoga With Blue. Running, not so much, but I could do some weight training/Nautilus-type machines as well. Yay, fitness!
  • edited January 2012
    I am going to eat so much food on this cruise. Exercise sounds great.

as silly as it sounds, I am worried about how I will fit the extra (workout) clothes in my already limited luggage allotment.
  • I read a stat somewhere that the average person gains 3/4 pound for every day of the sailing. I just returned from Disney World 3.5 pounds heavier, and I did a half marathon while there, so I can believe it. Fitness ahoy!
  • AH! I so don't want to gain 3/4 lbs per day!

So swimming, jogging and dancing are in order!
  • I usually end up losing weight on a cruise, mainly because I end up walking so much on the ship and on shore.